Thursday, March 15, 2012

I am One of You

© a super cool and creative website

The other day I went to an advice website for teens and asked, “I feel overwhelmed with homework. What should I do?” Do you know what I got back?
“Eat your vegetables and get a good night sleep.”
Wow. Thanks a lot. Then I asked, “My friends are fighting. Should I try to stop them?”
“Go to a trusted adult.” Really? Again I asked the site. “Why is the sky blue?”
“I’m sorry. We could not decode this question. Please retype your question in the box below.”
What kind of a person would write such predictable answers? Answer? None. It’s run by a computer. What the hell! I’m on a computer right now! I want a person to answer my questions.
*********************************************
School. Family. Friends. Pets. Relationships. No relationships. Grades. Homework. Sports.
I am a student. A daughter. A friend. A girlfriend. An ex-girlfriend. A team member. An artist. A musician. A scientist. A blogger. A Facebook user. A girl. A teen.
How can I be all these things and still be me? How can I be all these things and not even know how to just be me?
I’ve made it through my crazy life and I’m still in it but I’m here to help. I don’t want any teen, anywhere to have to go to a stupid, computerized advise site run by adults, and I don’t buy the whole “We’re older and know all about what’s best. Blah, blah, blah…”
I’m a teen and I know damn well that when I’m sad, pissed, or just plain confused, there is no way I’m going to talk to an adult about my problems. I need a girl. A teen. A friend.
I’m here, ask me anything. I’ve been through a lot and I survived. You will too.
To all the girls with no hope, the teens with nowhere to turn, to all the tormented angels stuck on earth: I’m one of you and I’m here to help. Just ask.

No comments:

Post a Comment